Tuesday, June 14, 2016

An update!

I've been gone from my blog for a long time!  Partly because of my new work, partly because I knew I only had a few months left in beautiful Germany, and didn't find the time to write, and partly because we were gearing up for the move... purging and planning, and spending time with friends.  There's no way I could ever try to "catch up" with what life has been like, so I'm going to just start back up and see what happens...

While hubby is studying to become "promotable" in his career, my boys and I were able to make it to Michigan in time to celebrate my mom's 80th birthday!  We're finishing out 1st and 3rd grades from the comfort of the sunroom and/or patio, overlooking the part of the Great Lakes Waterway  I now call home.  Though my parents moved to this town after I was away at college--it's been over 20 years since this became their address. Twenty YEARS?  I'm still flabbergasted how time seems to go on, but I haven't aged one bit.



We've made a few prayerful decisions about the future of our family, that I'm currently humbled, overwhelmed, and excited about!  Once we learned we were going to be able to move back into the home we call OURS in North Carolina (the renters wanted out--yippee!), we began weighing the pros/cons of our schooling options.  In the 5 years that we've been formally educating the kids, we've done public American, public German, and home school and have loved each experience.  We're not one of those families that is set in stone about our approach.  Each time we move, and even each year we face, we consider all our options.  Always with prayer, and always with a lot of others unsolicited opinions and advice hanging over our heads.  Some treasured, some taken with a grain of salt. The BEST encouragement I received more than once from one of my best friends (and have already shared with another dear friend working through the same decision) was this:  Any time you're tempted to "discuss" this situation with someone, DON'T.  Instead, discuss it with God.  Pray about it.  He's the only one who knows what's BEST for YOUR family. She shared that she gave herself 30 days to pray quietly before discussing with her husband, and making a decision together.  I gave myself until the end of May, but our time was cut short by some deadlines we weren't anticipating.  I'm happy to say, though, that things were amazingly more clear by the time the deadline came, and we're going to be Home Educators again!  We've chosen to participate in a Classical Conversations community.  This is something that I wanted to do when we were homeschooling in Germany, but the closest community was over an hour away.  And then we opted for German public school--because why not?  My heart is happy to go back to home school, and I'm also grateful for the structure and community this endeavor will provide.

The other decision is much less DEEP, but still exciting.  Home Projects!  We're getting new flooring, and it's hardwood, y'all!  Waiting for estimates on the prices for our top choices, and will make a decision soon!  Also, got an estimate for having popcorn ceiling removed in the parts of our house that have cathedral ceilings.  Guess what?  It's not happening.  Especially since hardwoods will make our home extra echo-y...  maybe bumpy ceilings will absorb some sound?  I'm not calling it popcorn ceiling anymore.  I'm calling it noise-control.  And since we're not getting the ceilings done yet, we'll have more funds for the floors, and I can get the one I REALLY love.  Here's a pic from Pinterest...

So... the living room, hallway, and kitchen/laundry room will look something like this...  well, at least the floors will!

That's it for today, folks.  The boys are up, and we've got first and third grade to finish up in the next two days!!

Hope your summer is beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment