Monday, February 16, 2015

True confession: Addicted to Facebook!

A year ago, for Lent, I set aside Facebook. A few things changed during that time, and I liked them!  I had so much more time in my day for meaningful things.  Including Bible study and prayer, first thing.  I also found that my voracious reading habit returned.  This year, I'm withdrawing from Facebook in a major way, but don't want to disappear completely.  I'm not giving it up entirely, because I utilize it for messaging groups, and it's a reliable way to not get bogged down in email "replies of replies."

I love to catch up with people on FB.  I love the sweet smiles and happy news I read every day.  But I also find myself getting more offended, opinionated, distracted, disappointed, and defensive when I scroll through, rather than satisfied. I also realize that I'm very bad at disciplining myself and can't stop scrolling, even when I want to.  Addiction is one word to describe it.  And there are sure a lot worse things a girl could get addicted to, but I truly would rather NOT be addicted to tiny little tidbits coming across my computer screen.  And so, I'm cutting back by inviting people to catch up with me via an "old-fashioned" blog.  I'll first slash my friends list (not in a "I hate you" kind of way), then lock down my FB pretty tight.  It's not you.  It's me.  I won't be hard to find.  As a matter of fact, I think this will make me be more "around." Living my life where I am.  Not where other people are.  

So, if you want to catch up, stop on by my blog.  If you want to share news with me, I've got an email address. I have a phone.  I have a mail box. I have an actual apartment that I live in, and you're even invited to stop by if you want! I can guarantee I'll offer you a cup of coffee or spot of tea. 

So, for my first actual blog entry in two years... Here are a few pics of our Valentine's Day/Fasching weekend getaway to Rothenburg ob der Tauber.  We stayed at a farm with a holiday apartment in a town called Creglingen, about 10 miles from Rothenburg.  The boys enjoyed helping with some of the farm chores in the mornings.  We got to purchase some of the very eggs they collected, and scrambled them up for breakfast the next day.  We spent a chilly Saturday in Rothenburg where we ate Schneeballchen (snowballs--a pie-crust-like pastry cut into strips, then formed into the shape of a ball, cooked, then sprinkled with powdered sugar, cinnamon and sugar, chocolate, or nougat... any other type of topping you can imagine), saw the Kriminalmuseum and St. James' Church (in German it's St. Jakob's).  You can read more about either of these places by clicking the names.  On Sunday we drove to Fürth (about an hour away) to Fürthermare, a fantastically fun indoor/outdoor swimming complex. We slept until 9 Monday morning, thanks to the Rouladens on the windows blocking out any speck of sunlight.  THIS is a personal record since having children.  I've not slept this late in over EIGHT years!  Miracles never end! We drove back to Wiesbaden and unpacked in a flash, and relaxed the rest of the afternoon.  Hubby goes back to work Tuesday, but the boys and I have one more vacation day before school starts on Wednesday. We'll head into the village dressed up for Fasching, and go on a walking tour with the rest of the school-aged Kinder, shouting "HELAU!" and collecting all kinds of delicious treats from local merchants.  

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Driving through the countryside




Chicken Feed 
Fatten the Calves!




What goes in must come out.







Murano in Oberrimbach, Baden-Württemburg, DE, the location of our Ferien Wohnung (Holiday apartment)!



Baker's Baptism--kept a baker honest!

Outisde the Kriminalmuseum


Neck Violins.  Made for contentious women and couples.

W in the Pillory


This marriage certificate was given the "Seal of Approval" by 13 family members.

W is a bit ill.

S seeing the "evil" side of Midieval times


Murano in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Bayern, DE


The bakery where we tasted Schneeballchen

Valentine's Dinner at Michelangelo's, Rothenburg ob der Tauber

One of my handsome Valentine dinner dates.


Schneeballchen!






Creglingen, Baden-Württemburg, DE.  We had dinner at this restaurant (Da Salvatore).


St. James' Church 12 Apostles Altar, Rothenburg ob der Tauber


A rare depiction of the Holy Trinity, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit

Holy Blood altarpiece of the Würzburg wood carver Tilman Riemenschneider, carved 1500-1505




These seats were the only chairs in the original church, reserved for the Teutonic Monks

W reading his Valentine

Being my Valentine! 

The relic piece in St. James' church

This tree trunk carved into a boat shape with the Holy Family is in the sanctuary of St. James.
It is a gift from the people of Tanzania, as a thank you to the congregation of
St. James for their humanitarian missionary efforts.



4 comments:

  1. Love looking at you photos! How I dearly wish I had the money to go and visit you in Germany. I would love to tool around there with you and stay up late talking . . . . Miss you, Glo. Much love, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! That crime and punishment museum made me sick to my stomach when we went!

    ReplyDelete