Monday, January 23, 2012

Nineteen Years!

Today we celebrate an anniversary. Nineteen years ago, my husband enlisted in the Army National Guard. His mom never really celebrates that day. When we discuss, "that day," she tells us she still needs to forgive the recruiter, with whom their family worshipped at church each week. But, oh, if he'd not joined the Army at the young age of 17, then he wouldn't have been called to the Chaplaincy the following summer, where he was learning his job for his enlisted career. And though we may have been attending the same college 3 years after enlisting, and I may have noticed him from afar the way I did, I may not have found him the least bit attractive. Because just weeks before meeting him, I told my room mate that though there was nothing wrong with picking a place to live and work and staying there all your live-long days, I just couldn't see myself doing that. I inherited wanderlust from my mother, and I needed to keep moving. I knew I would. So when I saw my future husband from afar, I crushed. Hard. Then I found out that he was choosing a lifelong career in the Army Chaplaincy, if they would have him. And it's like a million arrows appeared out of nowhere, floating in the air, and all pointing to him. They said, "THIS IS IT!" and "THE ONE!" and "LOOK NO FURTHER!" and "Girl? Whatchu waitin' for?" And we were engaged a year later. So I can celebrate the anniversary of his enlistment. Knowing that a boy with plans to not stay anywhere long would suit me just fine. That and his love for his God, his country, and Christ's compassion for the soldiers that lay their lives on the line. That suits me just fine.

So, at times, I get ambitious in the kitchen. And by ambitious, I mean trying a new recipe with ingredients I don't normally have on hand. Which means going grocery shopping. Something I hate. But I'm usually never disappointed. Today was no exception. Here's how I commended my husband's 19 years of faithful service:

Thai Chicken Pizza
One 12" precooked pizza crust (or, you overachievers can make your own)
7-oz. peanut sauce (or make the recipe below--awesome and easy)
1 chicken breast, sliced and cooked (I sauteed mine in coconut oil and garlic, added soy sauce)
1 C Italian blend shredded cheese
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/3 Red pepper, sliced
4 T fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 C fresh bean sprouts
1/2 C matchstick carrots
1 T peanuts

For Peanut Sauce, measure and mix in a bowl the ingredients listed below:
1/4 C honey
1/4 C smooth peanut butter
3 T Soy Sauce
2 T Rice Vinegar
2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 T Sesame Oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T fresh ginger root, minced
1 t ground red cayenne pepper flakes
(this will make more than enough for your pizza. Save some to pour over leftover noodles and broccoli)

Here's the sauce:
Preheat your oven to 400 while assembling your Pizza in this order:
Crust, sauce, chicken, onions, cilantro, red peppers, then cheese. You'll add the sprouts and carrots after it's cooked. Bake for 8-12 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Sauteed in unrefined coconut oil, garlic, and a splash of soy sauce.

I prepped everything while the boys were eating leftovers for dinner. Maybe one day they'l like hot peanut sauce. Things stayed like this until after boys were in bed. 

Finally assembled after 8.  A pretty late dinner time tonight.  


Fresh out of the oven is when you'll add the sprouts, carrots, and peanuts.

So so so very good. I can't wait to celebrate 19 years and one day tomorrow with the two pieces
we had left over!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the 19 years!!!! I adore your love story.

    ReplyDelete